Thursday 3 June 2010

The James Wade Interview


Here are your questions and James Wade's answers, remember that James does not do many interviews so it is a real coup that he chose us. A big thank you goes to James' manager Jason Thame for sorting this out for us.

From Kirk Bevins (Pro Tour Marker):
At what point in your career did you think "I'm good enough at darts to warrant quitting my day job at the garage"? Was it an easy decision for you or was it quite risky?
James Wade:
"It was after the world matchplay in 2006 I realised i was confident enough to turn full time pro. The truth is I only quit the job as I could not work full time due to the busy pdc schedule, i loved the job as mechanics is my real passion. I have never stopped working on cars, just now it is only on occasions"
From Boozehound99:
hi james
who in your opinion is the biggest threat to the top 6 in the order of merit by the time the next premier league rolls around?
James Wade:
"Simon Whitlock definitely and it should be Gary Anderson"
From doublesfordough:
hi james thanks for your time.
i'm sure i've seen or heard somewhere that you may retire at 30, is this true or utter tosh?
and if i may, if this is true are there any reasons why you feel this way?

James Wade:


"I was misquoted on this, what I wanted to say was ‘I would like to retire at 30 if I could afford to, but it was a tongue in cheek comment and not one that will come true, maybe when I am 45 or 50, hopefully anyway’

Although I love playing competitive darts, I do not want to play all day everyday for the rest of my life, my real passion is working with on cars, I would like to be able to have my own garage and work on cars as well as play competitive darts"
From Mark_G:
Hi James

This question might sound a little silly, but in light of the rumours of you retiring at 30, do you enjoy being a professional darts player? If not, why not?
James Wade:
"I enjoy being a professional because of the financial rewards on offer and because of the buzz of being fortunate to play at a high level on television and in front of thousands of people.

The side I do not enjoy is the constant travelling, sleeping in hundreds of hotels each year and the unhealthy living associated with being on the road. But I do accept this is part of it and a sacrifice that has to be made."
From Dave33:

Hi James

What do you think has been your most important result this past year (for you personally).
James Wade:

"Winning the 2009 Whyte & Mackay Premier League"

From Stubby:

Hi James

I was at the Rileys opener in Worcester where Helen hit a 180! Do you guys practise regulary and do you have to let her win?
James Wade:
It is well documented I do not practise over regularly, maybe 2 days a week
Stubby:
Also if I may - Do you suffer with nerves and if so how do you overcome them?
James Wade:
"I think every sportsman suffers from some kind of nerves, we all show it different, I am short tempered on a matchday as my manager Jason Thame will confirm J.

He helps me overcome them by keeping me busy and not thinking about the game"
From ozzieb:

Hi James,

2 questions if i may.
1. Where is your favourite venue you have played at bearing in mind you have played at Alley Pally, Lakeside and Blackpool?

James Wade:
"Blackpool"
OzzieB:
2. Who are your best mates/ practice partners on the circuit.
James Wade:
"As competitors none of us are ‘best mates’, but I have a lot of time for Mervyn, Simon, Mark Webster, Gary Anderson, Andy Fordham & Raymond, I probably practice with Mervyn & Raymond most"
From TROUBLEAGAIN:

I have a feeling (lol) that you will win the Matchplay again this year,-would this be your best event of the year or is there a particular one you most look forward to..
Ps- Got you in the Miners arms sights for an exbo this year with Paul 'Smooth' Booth (hope your passports up to date)
James Wade:
"I would love to win any TV event, but yes I would dearly love to win Blackpool again as it is my favourite event"
From Carl Cavell:

Hi James,

I can't see why the crowd boo you (having met you about 4/5 years back in Portsmouth) but do you have any idea why it started ? Don't take it personally as they don't know who you are.
James Wade:
"I think maybe because I don’t dance or jump around or have a gimmick, but the crowds do seem better towards me the past few months ( except Aberdeen J )"
From Cameronuk:
Hi James
Do interviews before or after matches get any easier for you? I have always had the feeling that you are uncomfortable being interviewed. Is that right? Perhaps Helen might help.
James Wade:
"I don’t mind doing interviews, but I would rather be remembered for my darts though J"
From thegabbycabby:

Hi james it's rumored that you are a notoriously bad for practicing (i know the feeling) if true do you belive that 80/90% of the game is all in the head.
James Wade:
"As much as 90% is in the head"
From robot:
James,
Why did you change your walk on music and what made you choose your current choice?
James Wade:
I did not like Two Tribes from the start, wanted something a bit more upbeat, will be changing again soon !!!!!!!!!
From littleleeso:

Hi James

How do you think you will fair in the Premier League this year? Do you think you can repeat your win????????????????
James Wade:
"No, I think I will come runner up to Phil, losing 10-8 in one of the best games ever seen, I also think he may hit two 9 dart legs................................................ and miss treble 17 for a 3rd....."
From Paulie Walnuts:
How much would you typically drink before stepping on stage for a big match?
James Wade:
Not as much as people presume
Paulie Walnuts:

How comfortable are you with your "The Machine" nickname? I read before a couple of years back that you weren't keen on a nickname for yourself.
James Wade:
It used to bother me having any nickname, but now I accept it is part of the image SKY need to create
From Shep:
Hi James,

I keep hearing rumours that you will pack in darts by the time you're 30 (I hope this isn't true as darts needs players of your class). If this is the case would any retirement be put on hold if you hadn't won a World Title by that point?
James Wade:
"As above this was a tongue in cheek comment, but if I won the lottery then yes I would retire."
It would be amazing if I won the world title, but there are so many good players out there I will just have to keep trying
From Luke polarbear70:
I remember your first appearance at the lakeside and a piece the BBC did with you fishing.
Do you still enjoy your angling and how do you look back at that first Lakeside appearance?
James Wade:
Yes I love fishing, but I do not have the time to go a lot unfortunately.

I can see the mistakes I made during the game against Dennis Harbour, but a lot of people forget I was only 19 and it was very very nerve racking as it was my first world championship and I lived only 5 miles from Lakeside, so I knoew all my friends and family were there
From Adrian1969:

James,

A couple of questions;

1. What are you favourite sports?
James Wade:
"I don’t really follow any sports, my hobbies are mechanics, fishing & DIY"
Adrian1969:
2. Do you fancy sticking 25 quid in to our player sponsorship scheme?
James Wade:
"You'll have to ask my manager, but he’s quite miserable so he’ll probably say no J"

No comments:

Post a Comment